Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Indiana Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: When I got a divorce, one of the agreements threw court was that I wouldn't have to pay child support.

I got divorced 8 years ago. We both got joint custody. She however is the custodial parent. I haven't seen my son for at least 6 7 years now. My ex moved with my son and stopped contacting me. I don't know where they live now. He will be 18 soon. I remarried and have 2 other children.... Read more »

Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn answered on Jul 20, 2021

You posted this question in another state and as was explained there, the order to pay or not pay child support under state law has no bearing on this federal benefits program. All of your biological children are eligible for benefits until they turn 18 or until 19 if they are still in high school... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: I got divorced 8 years ago. My ex wife is the custodial parent of my son. I wasn't court ordered to pay child support.

I just got approved for ssdi. I'm remarried with 2 other children in my home. Their benefits are on hold until my ex wife is found and notified that my son that lives with her...may be able to receive benefits threw me. It's making it rough because I can barely support my wife and... Read more »

Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn answered on Jul 20, 2021

All of your minor children are eligible me for benefits if your individual payment is below the family maximum payment. The difference between your payment and the family max can be up to 1/2 of your payment. Whatever that amount is will be split equally between your children. It does not reduce... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: I get ssdi benefits for myself. I have a disabled 6 year old son in my home. Should I apply for ssi for him separately?
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn answered on Jul 19, 2021

You can apply for SSI benefits if your household is financially eligible. You should also file for dependent (sometimes called auxiliary) benefits for him. Those benefits are available if your payment is high enough and are based on your receipt of SSDI. There is no requirement that a minor child... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: Is SSDI considered income? IRS says it is a benefit that I earned because my work history
John Foss
John Foss answered on Mar 11, 2021

It is considered income, but it is, generally, not taxable. However, it may become taxable if your household income rises above the established thresholds.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Social Security and Family Law for Indiana on
Q: If i where to get married, and then in the future need to go on disability (due to health) would i be able to get ssdi

My partner may also have to get on it but we want to get married. Neither of us are currently on it . We live in Indiana but may move to Michigan or Wisconsin

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Nov 15, 2020

Marriage does not affect SSDI. To be able to get SSDI, you would have to have worked long enough and recently enough to be fully insured. In most cases, you must have earned at least 20 credits during the last 10 years. You earn work credits and become insured for Social Security retirement, SSDI... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: I have tried to get into my S.S. account, I have been to the office a lot. They send me home with a temp password, don't

help at all. When I sign in it says my information is not correct. I know my info. I have ask them to go into my account and see what is wrong. they won't do it. Today I posted on their page I was FED UP. So they gave me a number for help, I called and was on hold forever so I hung up. What... Read more »

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Oct 21, 2020

When you talk to people at SSA, you will find they have a wide variety of knowledge and motivation to help citizens. Don't let one person there make you think they can't help you. Some just answer the phone and have no answers. Others seem to be on a mission to helping as many people as... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: Will returning to my maiden name affect my death benefits?

I've been widowed since 2009 and receive death benefits. I've never remarried and would now like to return to my maiden name. Will legally going back to my maiden name change my death benefits?

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Sep 24, 2020

No, changing your name to your maiden name will not affect Social Security survivor benefits you are receiving since you are not changing your marital status. Once you have your name legally changed, you need to inform Social Security and show them the court order of the name change. To report a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: is the year one retires if it is a high 35th, year used for pia?

i retired in june 2019 at that time my earnings for 2019 was one of my highest years, should this year be used for my PIA?

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Apr 16, 2020

The Social Security Administration (SSA) calculates your average indexed monthly earnings (AIME) during the 35 years in which you earned the most. SSA then applies a formula to the AIME to arrive at your basic Social Security retirement benefit, or primary insurance amount (PIA). Your PIA is how... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Social Security for Indiana on
Q: What does the judges consider when going into disability hearing for my child

I'm trying to get ready for my daughter's hearing at the end of the month in January for disability but I don't know what to look for or what the judge is going to consider

Lakeyta Brown
Lakeyta Brown answered on Jan 6, 2020

I strongly urge you to seek the help of a SSA Attorney. Attorneys who handle Ssa Disability claims for adults and children who are applicants on “initial claims” (that means people who have not received benefits and are appealing to try to get them BUT NOT people who were getting benefits and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: Letter from Pulmonologist says i cant work. Should that be good enough for the judge in my disability hearing coming up
Lakeyta Brown
Lakeyta Brown answered on Jan 6, 2020

A generalized letter that just states you cannot work is insufficient for a Judge to grant your claim. Ssa defines disability essentially as a medical condition that despite treatment by a doctor precludes the person/patient from working any job in the United States. Therefore, a doctor would also... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: how do i find most successful Indiana law firm that will help me with my disability appeal?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 1, 2019

If you are indigent call legal aid/legal services. Your energy should go into your medical proof---I'm willing to bet you have looked not at the medical evidence but on what you think the medical evidence says.

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: what does waiting on ALJ for draft instructions mean
Betsy Walits
Betsy Walits answered on Apr 18, 2019

I don’t know where you are getting the language from but the ALJ is the Administrative Law Judge. So it’s in the pipeline waiting for the Judge to write something,

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: I was told I couldnt view my exhibit file for my ssdi claim since my case was pending. Is this correct?
Betsy Walits
Betsy Walits answered on Oct 12, 2018

If self represented, you’ll get a CD before your hearing. If represented, your Atty should be able to view the file at any time. SSA controls when people can/cannot view their file.

Q: I need help with filing my appeal for my disability with my social security redetermination.

I was approved by the SSA to be a disabled person in 2014. It was for depression and arthritis. I recently had to go for a redetermination and then was found to be not disabled and then was told that I was found disabled due to mood disorder and anxiety disorder and then that was never the reason... Read more »

Chase T Wilson
Chase T Wilson answered on Oct 24, 2017

Call the Indiana BAR Association at (317) 639-5465. They'll be able to refer you to someone who handles SSI Claims.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Social Security for Indiana on
Q: My husband passed away and now my kids are getting survivor benefits can they garnish their benefits

He owed back child support to his other kids

Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch answered on May 12, 2017

The answer should be no. The benefits your children are receiving are for themselves. They're not some sort of inheritance from your husband's estate that the state can lay claim to.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security, Tax Law, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Indiana on
Q: Someone called my college impersonating me to get tax forms using my social security number, and changed my address
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Feb 4, 2017

Unless you have a suspect, calling the police may be futile. Ask your college security or police department to investigate, and contact one of the three major credit agencies to put out a fraud alert.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: I was in a car wreck a year ago I suffered a dislocated hip and my pelvic bone was broke in 3 places and a stretched,

Siatic nerve and recently went to neurologist and he said that over half of my nerves wasn't working also I have drop foot and very little movement in my foot it hurts to walk and to try and lift anything. Would I qualify for disability?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 18, 2016

Likely but your doctors have to say that you can't do anything else. You may have wage loss benefits through the car wreck, and depending on how it happened you may have other claims and if you haven't already should talk to a member of the Pa. Assn for Justice--we give free consultations... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: do I need a disability attorney?

I have lung cancer

Jonathan Alexander Heeps
Jonathan Alexander Heeps answered on Dec 21, 2014

Sorry to hear about your condition. If you are referring to Social Security Disability Benefits or Supplemental Security Income benefits you do not technically need an attorney. However, hiring an attorney is highly recommended. Social Security attorneys collect contingent fees when they win your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: If you are approved for state disability medicaid in indiana can it help your disability claim with ssdi?
Jake Causing Santos
Jake Causing Santos answered on Jun 4, 2012

I practice in NJ so I am not familiar with Indiana's regulations but the general rule for Social Security is they are not bound by disability determinations made by other government agencies. However, I have in the past used other government disability determinations as additional evidence to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Indiana on
Q: Where can i find cases involving soc sec survivor's benefits approved when short 1 credit? i cannot find anything
Burton A. Padove
Burton A. Padove answered on Jul 21, 2011

Try the CCH Socila Security Reporter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.