Colorado Springs, CO asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Oklahoma

Q: How should a response to an appeal look like? What information should be included?

Judge ruled in my favor to have my child returned to me but state is appealing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Columbia, MD

A: First, I am not an Oklahoma attorney. That being said, I suppose you are the "Appellee" so you must file a brief as the Appellee. Usually, the deadline for filing that brief is 30 days from the Appellant's brief (in this case, the State). And you should be sent a copy of the Appellant 's brief, as soon as it is filed. But check your appellate rules because there might be a compressed deadline in these types of cases. Also, check you appellate rules on what the Appellee's brief should contain--it generally is: statement of the case, issues presented, statement of the facts, summary of the argument, argument, and conclusion. But I suggest again, check the OK (or relevant) appellate rules.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.