Wheeling, IL asked in Civil Litigation for Illinois

Q: I hired a general contractor to do a small home remodeling job. They did a terrible job and wanted more money to finish.

I fired them and hired someone else to fix everything and finish the job. I am paying almost the same amount to fix the problems and finish. I called and asked for a reasonable refund but now no one is returning my calls. What are my options for getting some or all of my money back from the original contractor?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Your description suggests that the amount you paid the subsequent contractor to correct the defective workmanship was an amount equal to or greater than what was paid to the original contractor. In such instance, you can sue the original contractor for the dollar value of what was paid to the subsequent contractor to correct the defective work. Any additional amount paid to the subsequent contractor to finish the project, which had not been paid to the original contractor, is not recoverable. Whether it is worth the expense to file a suit against the original contractor depends upon the amount of money at issue. It would be best for you to review the details with an attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.