Swansboro, NC asked in Adoption for North Carolina

Q: My husband and I have had full custody of MY biological grandaughter for 12 years. she is now 13.The biological father

has had his visitation rights terminated. the biological mother could see the child with supervision but has never approached that. neither has seen her since she was 18 months old. She calls us mom and dad but knows her circumstances. she would like to be adopted so that we all have the same last name. that's all that would really change. also, she currently has medicaid, which may be affected with adoption. can we do this? do we have to make an effort to find and contact the biological parents?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You would not have to notify her biological father, if his parental rights have been terminated (you'll need to verify this). You will need to notify her biological mother, and if possible, get her consent. Otherwise, you'll need to have her parental rights terminated as well. Her last name would not be the only thing to change, from a legal perspective. If, in fact, all you want to do is to get her name changed, perhaps her biological mother would consent to it?? There are a lot of things to consider here, in order to determine what is the best way to proceed. Consult with an attorney to find out all the details of what to do next, depending on how you decide to proceed.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.