Allendale, MI asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: What should I do? Should I appeal or should I just pay the dumb ticket?

I got caught speeding. I was going 83 in a 45. He only charged me 70 in a 45 I believe. I am new to the area. I moved he last month to go to college at gvsu and I just didn't know how fast roads are. I came from Texas that is a state that drives really fast so I'm used to going 80 on back roads. Also it was at night and no one was around so there wasn't anyone I could endanger other than my self. My question is should I appeal this and request a hearing and explain my self. "It was my first ticket in almost 6 years of driving." Or should I just pay the ticket and get on with my life?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: How much time and money do you want to spend to find out how much you still owe and how many points will be added to your license? Your explanation is not a legal defense. As you are in college, you probably have better things to do with your time than fight this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.