Aiken, SC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for South Carolina

Q: My Step daughters mom keeps threatening to just keep her every time she gets mad about something. Can she do that?

She's been Living with us for over 5 Years. She has not supported her financially at all. Not involved in school, doctors or anything important to the the child's well being. I have been more her mother then her biological one. Can she do really just do that? She has never been stable with her life, job or anything. Meanwhile I have gone above and beyond to do anything and everything for that child. I'm the one who goes to meetings at school, and the IEP meetings because her mother didn't even care to get her daughter evaluated by a professional when she's 9 and still can't read. She does not care about her daughter's well being and has continued to make stupid decisions and is just a selfish person. What can I do? I know that what's best for the child is being at home with us, just like she has been and not thrown into her mother's chaos. I can't keep having her do this every other week. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: You will need to contact a Family Court attorney in your area. This is a very complicated area of the law and really depends on what the current custody agreement/order says. If she is violating a custody order there is an enforcement mechanism that may be of assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.