Reno, NV asked in Child Custody for Nevada

Q: I’m a single mom, never been married, would like to file for full custody of my children. What are my options?

I tried to file my the court packet myself, but it was rejected because I filled it out wrong. I then went to mediation with my children’s father to figure out custody agreements but then he didn’t follow through with mediation. He’s unhealthy and unstable and addict. How can I do this without a lawyer because I can’t afford the fees. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: The most economical legal aid option would be to seek guidance from your local Family Law help center. However, having much experience in Family Law and Child Custody cases, I strongly recommend that any case involving children be represented by an experienced Family Law attorney. Child Custody and visitation arrangements can be difficult to modify, and carry serious penalties if violated. If both parties are in agreement, the most cost-efficient option would be to draft a mutually agreed upon custody agreement and have it signed by both parents and filed with the court to become legally binding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.