South Windsor, CT asked in Probate for Connecticut

Q: My husband passed without leaving a will or power of attorney. I want to close accounts that were in his name only?

He has loans etc in his name only, the company won't let me have access to his account without power of attorney letter, he didn't leave one what forms do I need to file to help gain access?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew A. Wiley
Matthew A. Wiley
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: First sorry for your loss. I know this must be a very frustrating time for you.

Once someone passes away a power of attorney would not be valid, even if you had one. What you may need to do is file with the local Probate Court. They will give you a Fiduciary Certificate. You can provide this document to all institutions and in a way it will act like a Power of Attorney.

The process can be very confusing and take quite a bit of time. Most probate attorneys will offer a free consultation to evaluate your situation and let you know if they believe you will need an attorney or can handle it on your own. The Probate Courts are great at helping unrepresented parties. Unfortunately, probate can be tricky and time consuming.

Feel free to call my office and schedule a time to speak in depth.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.