West Branch, MI asked in Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: Should I fight this ticket or pay it? Please read why.

My state I reside in (Michigan) is not part of the driver's license compact. Which means it does not share info with regarding my driver record, license etc. to other states. Back in August I got a speeding ticket in KENTUCKY. I would like to pay the speeding ticket, without fighting it as long as it doesn't go on my insurance or add points to my license here in Michigan. (The ticket is for 15mph over) Does anyone know if it will add points/raise insurance even tho Michigan and Kentucky do no communicate? I'm willing to fight it in court if needed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The insurance company would find out regardless of the points or compact. Will they raise your rates depends on your insurance company; some will, some won't. What you might want to do is look up the various traffic citations for Kentucky and see if you can find a non-moving violation with a similar fine/cost. You could then call down to the court there to see if they might amend the citation.

Honestly, unless you are down in Kentucky frequently, the cost to fight this will greatly exceed any increase in your insurance premium. And so it's worth it to see what you can negotiate, but otherwise, you may just want to pay it and move on.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.