Hendersonville, NC asked in Estate Planning and Probate for North Carolina

Q: My uncle died with no will & I was wanting to know if his nieces and nephews are the next in kin (heirs)?

He had no spouse, no children, & his parents & siblings are deceased. I wanted to make sure if my uncle's nieces & nephews are the next in kin (heirs).

If we are his heirs, this leads into another concern - my cousins (his nieces) are currently ignoring & avoiding me & my sibling. I have a suspicion they are trying to exclude us from the probate process so that we can't inherit anything & they get to inherit everything.

I've called the clerk of court (of the county my uncle lived & died in) weekly & they cannot find a case in my deceased uncle's name, so it appears they've not applied for estate administrator yet.

They currently have my uncle's death certificate, keys to his house & cars, among other important documents & since they are ignoring me completely, I don't think I'll be able to get access to those things so that I can apply for estate administrator. It appears they may also be removing things from the house.

What can we do? Do we have any legal recourse?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Under NC law if there is no will and given the family tree that you described, you, your sibling, and your cousins are the heirs.

If they are not opening the estate then you should apply to have it opened at the Clerk's office, you will have to get waivers from the other heirs or wait 90 days after the death to get appointed administrator. You can get a copy of the death certificate from the register of deeds where he died. I also strongly suggest hiring an attorney to assist you with the administration as this could get complicated with the family.

Potentially what is happening right now with your cousins could be committing crimes, by removing items from the estate without going through the proper process. This would be another thing to bring up to the Clerk and your lawyer.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.