Fort Mill, SC asked in Car Accidents for North Carolina

Q: What is next step? Went to police station; no report yet. No guarantee, but officer thinks son was backed into.

My son was behind minivan turning right onto main rd. Trees block view so must pull forward to see rd. My son was looking left & he and minivan collided. Driving dad’s car & in shock, he called me & said he rear ended someone but didn’t know how because he wasn’t moving. He had a passenger. The woman in minivan apologized to him & then he apologized. She then said she didn’t want to call police, got my son’s name and number and said no worries about minimal damage to her bumper - if more turns up, she’ll call him. After calming down, my son & passenger reviewed incident. Oncoming traffic was approaching and it’s very possible she backed into him to avoid it. Son got no info or pictures from scene. I found out she works at gym my son was leaving. Called owner and he asked driver, who told him my son rear ended her.

Extras: She’s a non practicing attorney. Our car has feature that locks brakes to avoid collision. A lot of damage to our car. Haven’t notified insurance company.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Contact your insurance company, give your side of the story, and let them fight it. While your insurance may go up it will still likely be cheaper than paying to fix your car.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.