Roanoke Rapids, NC asked in Personal Injury for North Carolina

Q: My grandmother was buried in the wrong plot. What's my next step and are there any attorneys in NC who handle this?

On 8/9/20 she was buried in the church cemetery where the plots are free to members who were in good standing, so there was no contract. She's supposed to be next to her husband. The cemetery caretaker (also her nephew) marked the wrong grave and knew of his error prior to her being committed to the ground & admitted his mistake to me & apologized after the interment, but said she possibly could not fit between my grandfather & my daughter who are both on the front row. (I later found out she could fit.) The caretaker is the only person who the funeral director communicates with when dealing with the cemetery, but he did not speak up to the FD the day of the funeral which would have saved costs bc they wouldn't have had to dig her up & move her. I have tried to call the caretaker & the pastor to discuss arrangements. They have not answered & do not return my calls. I sent a certified letter to both asking them to remit payment of $1800 to funeral home for disinterment & reinterment.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: I am very sorry to hear that you are going through this, contact a local lawyer, and get their advice on how to proceed. It is unlikely that you will need a lawyer that specializes in these matters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.