Charlotte, NC asked in Divorce for South Carolina

Q: Same sex marriage, but had a baby during separation. Do I have to establish she is not the parent due to S.C. law?

Separated from my wife for almost 3 years and have since had a baby with my boyfriend. I was hoping to file for quitclaim deed to remove her from house and no fault divorce, but she is unresponsive. Attorney advised I would have to bring my baby and boyfriend into the situation and establish paternity due to S.C. law, is this really necessary? I was hoping to file on my own, but this sounds like I will have to get an attorney on retainer which is not something I planned for. Thank You!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Your situation will become complicated because of your child so i would recommend contacting an attorney in your area to help you through this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.