Baltimore, MD asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: I have an adult son, he's had 3 strokes & he's addicted to heroin. Can I get guardianship? Can I file n family law

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The prevalence of addiction sadly leaves many families trying to figure out the best ways to support and help their loved ones. Maryland law has long recognized that chronic drunkenness or addiction to drugs can render someone unable to manage their own affairs and allows for adult guardianship in such situations.

Before any adult guardianship case can be filed, two separate medical professionals must certify that the addicted or disabled person is unable to manage their own affairs. Maryland law sets forth various rules and timeframes for guardianship proceedings and families may want to seek legal counsel to guide through the process. After a petition is filed with the court, the court appoints an independent attorney to meet with the person over whom guardianship is sought (depending on the circumstances the Petitioner may have to pay for that attorney as well). That attorney makes a recommendation and usually there is a court hearing, but ultimately the court decides whether or not guardianship is appropriate.

The Maryland Judiciary has videos for people seeking guardianship in this state -- it might be helpful to watch those videos to get a better understanding of this topic.

While not legal advice, I hope that the above information helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.