Camdenton, MO asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: My husband and I have lived with a friend for the last 14-15 months. There's a small apartment area attached to th

We've lived with this friend for 14-15 months. The little apartment attached to the garage only has a toilet and sink. We cook with askillet or hot plate. We also go to our friend's house to take a shower because there is none in this apartment area. Back in July, me, my husband and our friend Merl signed a paper stating upon his death that the house and property is to be passed/given to my husband and I. We also have three other signature's as witnesses. Our friend Merl just passed away. His ex-wife has locked the doors to the house so we are unable to shower. His cousin has been allowing her to make decisions about the house. She's the ex and has no say. The cousin is avoiding any disagreements. This paper signed by us and Merl and three witnesses, is proof enough that the house was given to us legally? If so, can I get into the house and change the locks, etc? Please help me with this.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You should have a lawyer review the document reflecting the agreement with Merl to see if it would qualify as a will. If so, you can probate it in court to enforce his wishes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.