Casa Grande, AZ asked in Copyright for Arizona

Q: Hello, I had a question about copyright?

I have a eyelash line and I want to change my packaging. The packaging would look like the skittles design, the rainbow and all that but the name on on the package would say lashbites instead of skittles. Same for sourpatchkids, airheads, lifesavers. Every package will have that design but the name will be lashbites, lashpatch, minkheads, lashsavers is this okay to do? Or is it something that I can get sued for?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy John Billick
Timothy John Billick
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA

A: This is most certainly not okay.

You are running the risk of infringing upon the trademark, trade dress, and copyright rights of all of these brands. Even if the name is different, if you utilize packaging "look and feel" and/or artwork from another, you will have a very high risk of being sued. Your best bet is to consult an intellectual property attorney as you develop your ideas, so you can be advised as to how to best minimize your risks of infringement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.