Vancouver, WA asked in Elder Law for Oregon

Q: I suspected financial elder abuse by my sister who served as my mother's POA. Am I able to pursue an investigation?

My mother passed away 2 weeks ago. My sister, who had POA, told me that the accounts have been closed and there is no longer access to them or the ability to investigate them. Is she correct? I suspected that she took some financial liberties about a year ago and asked her to open up the accounts. I caught her in a lie regarding how she was unable to access the information using her laptop. Now she is saying the accounts are closed and I have no recourse. Is she correct?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I'm very sorry for your loss. Just because the accounts are closed does not mean that you have no recourse. I recommend you consult with a probate litigator who can evaluate your specific situation and give you an opinion as to the likelihood of success for your case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.