Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Elder Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Elder Law, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Oregon on
Q: I need an attorney.

I have been accused of violating my lease. They say they have me on camera. I have a signed statement from the man who actually committed the offense. I am 80 and in a wheelchair. I cannot take this harassment anymore. It is adversely affecting my health. I have been in Home Forward for 24... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Mar 8, 2019

It is unclear whether this is still in an informal state of resolution or if you are being sued in court. Either way, you likely do indeed need the aid of a landlord-tenant attorney. Simply make an appointment to review everything with a local one and see where you go from there.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: Can I tow or remove a living trailer away from my property that has 10 lbs of marijuana stored inside? owner is in jail

Oregon Revised Statutes 98-805

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Oct 15, 2018

Possession of 10 lbs is likely to be illegal. Your safest bet is to simply report it to the police and go from there. They might even tow it off for you as evidence.

2 Answers | Asked in Elder Law, Civil Rights and Medical Malpractice for Oregon on
Q: My husband died, they declared him dead at 9:45AMFuneral home did not pick him up until 6:15 PM. Horrifying. Can I sue?
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 10, 2018

Any operson can always sue.

What are the damages?

What are the resons they did not come sooner?

Could you have called a different funeral home?

Who called and when?

Is the case of suffcient cvalue that an attorney would take it on a contingency fee basis?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Elder Law for Oregon on
Q: Would I inherit my husband's rental properties (purchased via 1031 exchange after we married) if he expires?

After a divorce 5 years ago, Richard updated his Will, leaving everything to his adult children. We married 3 years ago, and he hasn't updated his Will or added my name to the two duplex rental property titles (except as 1% owner at time of purchase of the building which he/we bought with $40K of... Read more »

Michael P Vanderhoff
Michael P Vanderhoff answered on Jul 20, 2018

Both you and your husband should have updated your Wills after getting married. Real property doesn't automatically pass to another unless it is titled correctly to do so ("right of survivorship", "tenants by the entirety", Transfer on Death Deed, etc.). If you are left out of your spouses Will,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Collections and Elder Law for Oregon on
Q: Can money be garnished from my trust fund inheritance check when I cash it? If I owe student loan money?
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Jun 29, 2018

To do a garnishment a creditor first has to have a judgment from the court. Then they have to serve garnishment papers on someone who has your property or money. So if you go somewhere to cash a check it is unlikely that your creditor would be aware of you doing this in time to serve garnishment... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: There are 105 park models in our park-most with seniors on a fixed income. The lease was $380 4 years ago. Now it is up

to $550 with another 10% (compounded on the yearly increase) increase this year bringing it up to $605! We own our units. It is getting to the point that we cant even sell if we wanted out. We cant move our units and as the lease payment keeps increasing we cant sell or we would have to walk away.... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on May 7, 2018

Sorry but no, a lanadlord can raise the rent as much and as often as they wish so long as they give proper and lawfully served 90 day or more advanced notice, assuming you are on a month to month tenancy.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Oregon on
Q: Is it legal for heirs to put pressure on paid caregivers to not spend much money to increase their inheritance? Thx!

Mom goes to hospital, and it's discovered in rehab that she now has permanent dementia. She moves home and has live in caregivers 24/7. Meanwhile, kids are looking for a permanent place to put mom. Soon after, mom's attorney says they can't do that, it was set up that she stay in her home.... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Apr 3, 2018

If mom's house is sold the money won't got to anyone and instead will go to pay for her care in a nursing home. Whether there will be any money left over for an inheritance is unknown. If there is a conservatorship set up by the court, then the Attorney who set up the conservatorship usually... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Elder Law for Oregon on
Q: I am a care giver and want to quite. They threatening to turn me in foe abandonment. Can they do that?

I work for an in home care giving company and would like to quite now. They told me I have to give at least a two weeks notice or they will turn me in for abandonment. Can they really charge me for that or are they just trying to scare me so that I stay longer?

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Mar 7, 2018

Oregon is an at-will state, so people are free to quit assuming you do not have a contract for a specific term.

2 Answers | Asked in Elder Law and Estate Planning for Oregon on
Q: How do I establish an estate for my mother? She died in 2005.
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Jan 9, 2018

If there is property of you mother's that has never been administered it is not too late to contact an attorney and see what if any steps need to be taken to finish administering her property. However, doing a formal legal proceeding such as probate is not required. It is only necessary if there... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Oregon on
Q: Can my sister sue me for elder abuse if my elderly mother said that is not happening?

My sisters have stolen a property from my mother, and I'm trying to get it back for my mother with a lawyer. Her lawyer said those two sisters are trying to build a case that I'm elder abusing my mother by doing something she doesn't want to do. My 87 year old mother is 100% coherent and she knows... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Sep 13, 2017

Elder abuse is based on a definition of elder abuse found in the Oregon Statutes: Your mother's opinion, while not insignificant, does not determine if a case of elder abuse does or doesn't exist. You should get your own lawyer and discuss the facts of the... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law, Elder Law and Car Accidents for Oregon on
Q: My parents are 89 & 90. My Dad still drives. He should not be driving. What is my liability?

This is a broad question. Please help me understand what risk my siblings and I may have for our father driving. Is there any case law in Oregon setting precedence? In my mind's eye, we have a moral obligation to the public. My questions are: Knowing our Dad should probably not be driving - Can... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Jul 5, 2017

If you father does not live in your house, isn't driving your car, and isn't listed on your car insurance, I don't think you have any legal ties to him such that the damages for an accident he causes will come back on you. The indirect financial problem would be that if he causes an accident that... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for Oregon on
Q: If my parents leave unpaid health care debt are stepchildren held responsible?

I am referring to Oregon law 109.010 or the filial responsibility law.

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on May 31, 2017

ORS 109.010, to the best of my knowledge, only is actionable by the parties mentioned, ie a parent suing a child for support or a representative of the child suing the parent for support. The statute is not a mechanism for a third party creditor to hold the adult child responsible for a debt of... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Estate Planning for Oregon on
Q: My mom passed last month and my dad is now in an assisted living home. He needs money for his care, can we sell assets?

My dad doesn't have a will and I am not sure he can actually get one because he has communication issues. Also, if he now wants to gives away property to his children, would this hinder his ability to get medicaid because it would be viewed as dumping assets in order to be fully funded for... Read more »

Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei answered on May 24, 2017

You may need to have a conservator appointed by the court for your father if he is unable to handle his own financial affairs. If he has the capacity to make his own decisions, he could appoint an attorney in fact under a power of attorney to assist in handling his financial affairs. Depending on... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Oregon on
Q: Just curious if charges could be filed against my mothers fiduciary's?

They've stolen from her prior to her doing her walk thru, they have cut off all contact with my husband & I, They are not paying her Avamere bill & we were sent an eviction notice. I could go on.

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on May 2, 2017

We have no clue what type of fiduciary capacity these people have. If they have been appointed by the court their actions are subject to review by the court and you will need to get an attorney to help you seek such a review. If they aren't court appointed I am afraid we can't guess how they came... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Elder Law and Health Care Law for Oregon on
Q: Why is it that only a child can inherit a house, not a grandchild who has kept grandparent out of nursing home 2 years?

I have been caregiving for my grandmother for 2 years this July and have thus kept her out of a nursing home. Even when we reach the two year mark she can't transfer the house to me just because of the technicality that I am a granddaughter and not a son or daughter. Her only living child has done... Read more »

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Apr 19, 2017

Who told you this? PROVIDED your grandmother is of sound mind and she WANTS to leave the house to you, she can. If she wants to give the house to charity she can do that too. If she wants to give the house to the local fire department so they can burn it down as a training exercise she could do... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Oregon on
Q: How do I have my mother become a ward of the state?

My mother has outlived her funds, She receives $1201.00 a month in Social Security. She does not qualify for medicaid and is being threatened with eviction. We have tried to find her another place to live in the area so she can stay close to her Doctors and there just isn't anything available as... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Feb 24, 2017

I would not assume that she doesn't qualify for medicaid. At her age, 86, she should probably be in assisted living and she should be able to qualify for medicaid that would help pay for that. She would have to spend her social security on the cost of her care and medicaid would pick up the rest.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Collections and Estate Planning for Oregon on
Q: My dh died 12/23/16. He told me to mark any bills directed soley to him "deceased" and return. Now I am getting

constant calls from banks. I don't answer because I'm afraid. The will won't be probated because there are no assets. What should I do?

Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei answered on Jan 23, 2017

If the bills are in the deceased's name alone, and are not liens on any property (for example, a mortgage) you are not obligated to pay the bills. The deceased's creditors can start a probate of his estate, but if there are no assets, the creditors won't bother. You should tell the callers to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Business Formation and Contracts for Oregon on
Q: Elderly sitting, like babysitting but for the elderly

Four hour maximum sitting time only. CPR certification only. Not looking to make a big business out of this. Would I need insurance, and if so what type? Would a simple contract be enough to cover my bases?

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Mar 9, 2016

I do not do elder law, but you might want to look into if this would require some sort of license like a CNA. As to insurance, you always want to have insurance, and a commercial general liability (CGL) should suffice, along with perhaps a professional liability rider. This way if something happens... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Oregon on
Q: Can a person make a legally binding decision for a later time in their lives?

The original question is very vague and potentially misleading, the actual question is this: Are there any legal avenues a person can pursue that would permanently prevent them from having to go to an elder care or medical facility later in life regardless of their mental condition at that later... Read more »

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Jan 15, 2016

A local estate planning lawyer should be able to advise.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Oregon on
Q: What are the ramifications of a family member spending an elders money on things other than costs associated with care?

The elder lived part time in Oregon with a family member... We later found this person had drained money from his accounts for personal use.

Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei answered on Dec 8, 2011

This elder abuse and financial fraud. All funds should be returned to the victim or the victim's estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.