Alpharetta, GA asked in Tax Law and Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: If one home owner abandoned Are both owners inturned to pay the property taxes and mortgage payments? Who owns home now

Bf and I bought place together. Then he may someone else, and left me to pay for the mortgage on the property, and the property taxes. I paid the home off alone and now he claims he owns this house

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Because you and your BF are on the deed, you both own the house. This means that both you and him have the right to use the property, and it can only be sold with both of your signatures.

Your best option to recover your BF's portion of the mortgage is to refuse to sell unless he agrees, in writing, to pay his portion out of the proceeds.

Alternatively, you could request a judge to force a partition sale, and in the process, request that he be forced to pay for his portion of the mortgage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.