Philadelphia, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My 13 year old daughter was arrested for simple assault yesterday after an altercation involving another 13yr old girl.

My daughter Giana and her friends were hanging out at the park (Penn Treaty Park - near Girard Ave in the Fishtown neighborhood) . According to witnesses, a van pulled up with 4 people getting out - 2 teenage girls, 1 teenage boy & 1 adult female. (there was previous drama over social media among all these girls) The Mother of 1 of the teen girls brought along her niece & another teenage boy to fight my daughter. Witnesses said that the adult female told her niece to go 1st, in which she did and an altercation with that young lady & my daughter started. About 2-3minutes later the adult told the niece to stop and instructed her daughter to begin fighting Giana. The female adult who brought all these kids to fight Giana, called the police and Giana was then arrested for simple assault. Giana, terrified & scared did engage but did so in self-defense. Can we fight this & also press charges on the adult mom?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rich Maloumian Jr.
Rich Maloumian Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Plymouth Meeting, PA

A: Consulting with an experienced criminal defense attorney would be your best course of action with respect to defending your daughter. Pressing additional charges against others involved, including the adult, is within discretion of the District Attorney's Office. Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.