Ft Mitchell, KY asked in Divorce for Kentucky

Q: We are beginning divorce process. I pay mortgage & all bills. My wife is studying for real estate license, but can work

She wants me to pay maintenance until she is licensed and can sell, probably by year end. If I move out and have to pay for apartment and new bills, how would maintenance be calculated if all my income is spent on rent/mortgage/my bills/her bills? Could she be forced to get a FT job to help support herself? She's physically able to do so, but wants to focus on studying.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Don’t move out. Don’t change anything and don’t pay any maintenance unless ordered to do so by the Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.