Xenia, OH asked in Domestic Violence for Ohio

Q: I recently filed for domestic violence in Ohio but no longer want to go through with the charges.

I recently filed for domestic violence but no longer want to go through with the charges. If I just don’t show up in court what will happen? Will the case get dismissed ? Or should I call the prosecutor and tell them I lied ? What is my best option for dropping this case

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Ingram
David A. Ingram
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Contact the prosecutor and victim advocate (if one is assigned) and let them know that you no longer want to proceed forward with the case and want the case dismissed. If you don't show up to court, the court can find you in contempt and issue a warrant for your arrest. If you contact the prosecutor and tell them you lied, you can be charged with falsification, which is a first degree misdemeanor. Your best option for dropping the case is contacting the prosecutor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.