Xenia, OH asked in Domestic Violence for Ohio

Q: Should I avoid going to court or say I lied?

I recently filed for a domestic violence charge against my fiancé . It was in the heat of the moment what should I do to get the charges dropped .? If I don’t show up in court will they drop the charges? Or should I say I lied? Or tell them I’m mentally insane and don’t know what I’m talking about? I NEED HELP!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Ingram
David A. Ingram
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: There is no easy for your situation. First, I hope everyone remains safe. Notify the prosecutor, the victim advocate, and defense attorney that you no longer want to proceed forward with the case and want it dismissed. The court can issue a warrant for your arrest if you fail to show up in court. You risk being charged with falsification (a First Degree Misdemeanor) if you say you lied about the incident. The same can occur if you tell the court or prosecutor that you are mentally insane. Simply, contact all the parties working on the case and let them know your position. Ultimately, the power to dismiss the case rests with the prosecutor. Good luck and stay safe!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.