Clayton, NY asked in Consumer Law and Business Law for New York

Q: Is there anything we can do to get reparations for the stuff that had been sold? Is what they did illegal?

Hi, I live in Upstate New York and we have, or should I say had a storage unit. We had the storage unit for about 3 years and had been making payments every year. A few days ago we went to put something in storage and found the lock had been cut and changed. We were just there in July-ish to get our air conditioners and didn't find any notice nor had we been contacted at all.

Apparently, the previous owner got arrested and the company had been taken over. When we called the company they claimed that nobody is in that unit (Yes there is, we are) and they that they have no record of us. The woman we talked to said she needed to talk with here partner who is out of town. When we called back later she says its possible that the contents of the unit was auctioned off and she'll have to talk to the owner. She said that nobody was in that unit but now she says that she need to talk to the owner.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Your reparations could depend on the terms of the agreement. Because of the change of hands that took place, and the possible difficulty in pinning down when the loss took place, it could be a difficult claim. Depending on the amount of the loss, if it involved more than just A/C units, one option is to consider a brief consult with an attorney to outline options. Also check the agreement, as it could specify a forum (such as arbitration) for any disputes. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.