Rock Island, IL asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Illinois

Q: My mother passed and there is no will, my sisters and I agree to sell the home and split the money, how do we do that?

My mom had nothing in writing, but the 3 kids are in agreement to sell the home and split the money, how do we do this? I actually want to buy my sisters out. I am currently living in the home, I moved in to pay the bills while mom was to be in a nursing home for an indefinite amount of time, she died two weeks after I moved in (June 14 2020). I have been paying out of pocket for all necessary repairs and upkeep to make the house attractive and sellable. How do I go about buying my sisters out?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Oakbrook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If a decedent passes without a will and the estate has a value exceeding $100,000, then you need to open an estate and someone must be appointed as the Administrator of the intestate estate. There is a slew of information the court will want at the beginning stages in order to determine who should act on behalf of the estate and who are the heirs. Once you have an administrator and you have identified heirs, then you can begin the process of asking permission to sell the property. If you want to buy the property, then you should reach an agreement with all interested parties and support the price with an appraisal or court order allowing you to buy out your siblings. If you don't properly document the arrangement and obtain court approval, you remain open to a later claim that the amount you paid was not fair or adequate. If the house and other estate property are worth less than $100,000, then you may proceed with a small estate affidavit. Be sure to read 755 ILCS 5/2-1 et seq. (meaning all of the material that follows). Sincerely, Bryan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.