Olathe, KS asked in Immigration Law for Kansas

Q: Can we get married now and then apply for citizenship for him later on because it's so expensive?

My fiance is here on daca and I'm an American citizen. We would like to get married before we have our baby but didn't know if we would have to pay for his citizenship right away once we're married or if we can wait until we have the extra funds to do so.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: You will need to first file an Alien Relative Petition for your husband. Once that is approved he will apply for an immigrant visa on line through the NVC and apply for an I-601A Waiver with the USCIS. Once the waiver is approved he will need to go to his home c ountry for one or two weeks to attend an interview at the US consulate. Provided he is approved he will be granted an immigrant visa to the US. He must be an LPR for three years through marriage to a USC before he is eigible for Naturalization. The foregoing will be successful provided all other requirements are met.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.