Portage, MI asked in Elder Law for Michigan

Q: My Mother lives in AL in Ohio, 99 yrs old. There is division about moving her out. She does not want to move.

POA and Health proxy want to move her. Do they have the power to do that against the rest of us?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Likely yes; the POA or patient advocate designation gives them the ability to make those sort of decisions. If your mother is of sound mind, she could refuse or appoint others to act on her behalf. If not, then the move would likely happen. Once POAs or patient advocates go into effect, it's not a democracy; the majority does not rule - it's up to those people named in the documents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.