Q: I am trying to find some clarity on a specific scenario regarding Liquidated Damages Provisions under Virginia law.

My girlfriend is an RN registered nurse working for an agency (based in Ohio) which helped bring/organise her path to USA and set her up with a job. The contract has tied her into a 3 year term of which she has completed 1 year already. The problem is the job is way too much for her mentally and physically and emotionally and she really has no time for herself even outside of her work she is doing paperwork, so she requested a transfer and it has not come to fruition and we are now 3 months further down the road.

The only next logical step she can take is to quit/resign, however that would incur a $30,000 breach of contract payment. In our opinion this number is ridiculously high and seems more like a punishment or penalty that doesn't reflect the true nature of incurred costs, especially after already completing more than a year of said contract.

Does she need to pay this amount?

Can we fight this for being excessive and a more like a penalty?

Thanks in advance.

1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Krieger
Steven Krieger
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Arlington, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I don't think this is enforceable simply if your girlfriend quits. However, sometimes liquidated damages provisions are enforced if a non-solicitation or non-compete provision is breached. I'm sure anyone who responds would be happy to help if you decide to retain an attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.