Duluth, GA asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: Q: How can I have the ZIP code on my mortgage documents changed? What should I expect?

Live in Atlanta, Fulton County, 30324. Have a condo for 15 years, 15 left to go. The servicer on my mortgage has just changed and I've discovered that the ZIP code on my mortgage documents is wrong - it's listed as 30304 when it should be 30324. What should I do to have it corrected and what can I expect in the process; i.e. will any work need to be done with the title? A complete redo of the paperwork? Another inspection?

Here's something else: I have a copy of the mortgage paperwork given to me at the beginning of the closing with the wrong ZIP code. While my memory is a bit fuzzy, part of me thinks we may have handwritten and initialed the correct ZIP code at the closing on the lender's copy which I signed and initialed. Since the ZIP code was the only change made, I may not have felt I needed a new copy of the paperwork made for me. If the edit was made on paper at the closing, it may have just not been changed in the digital records of the lender and/or mortgage servicer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson
  • Sharpsburg, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Unless there is an actual problem, I recommend that you do nothing. There are multiple ways to corroborate the documents to your property. For example property description, the rest of the address, your name, the seller's name, previous documents in the clerk's file with the correct zip code.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.