Chicago, IL asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota

Q: How can I purchase my property with clean title if one owners part wasn't recorded until 5 months after purchase?

There were several owners to the property I purchased. One of the owners had her deceased husbands name on that part of ownership. It is recorded that this was not changed until 5 months after it is recorded I purchased the property. Is my title and deed valid if this one owner wasn't actually ligit because it was still in her deceased husbands name then it was recorded as transfered 5 months after it shows I was the owner of the property? I live in Mn and purchased my property in 2004. A search I did states. 3 deeds were found from 2004 to 2005

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: You have not clearly stated the chain of title. But without knowing more, it will be critical that your widow grantor conveyed her interest to you by warranty deed. That is because if she in fact gained title to the property after she conveyed to you, it immediately inured to your grantee benefit. That results from one of the warranties for further assurance of title. This is sometimes called after acquired title or estoppel by deed. You must hire a competent attorney to conduct a title search. Stay away from title companies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.