Asked in Immigration Law

Q: My husband was deported from the US with a 5 year ban which is now up, what does he have to do to re-enter, for a visit?

We are now living in Europe, but would like to visit family. Prior to deportation, he was arrested and plead no contest to one charge and the other two were dropped. Our lawyer at the time failed to tell us that a no contest plea was basically the same as guilty in the rulings of immigration law. No prior criminal record before entering the US, whatsoever.

What steps do we need to take just to visit family?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: Good morning. Your husband should be able to reapply for a tourist visa and include a waiver for non-immigrant visas. Contact an experienced immigration attorney to help with the process to avoid complications.

Please remember that this is not legal advice and does not create client lawyer relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.