Mustang, OK asked in Education Law and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: Father does not want to send daughter to school because of mask mandate. Separated but no legal action taken yet.

My still husband just found out that there is a mask mandate at our daughters school. He now refuses to send her to school for religious reasons ("do not fear") and wants her to be home schooled by him. I want her to go to school! I am working 40 hrs/week and can not homeschool her. Since he has her Mondays he will not send her to school that day and will pressure her to feel bad about going when she is with me. She is already academically challenged as it is and is not allowed to work on schoolwork on the weekends. What can I do? School is a reprieve for her from his tyranny and anger.

My husband and I have been separated for 3 years now, I have moved to an apartment but there are no official divorce proceedings yet due to my lack of funds (I left without a penny).

He is a religious fanatic who - when he has her over the weekend and on Mondays - does not allow her to read anything other than the bible, will not let her play with any toys, all she does is work and clean his house

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Bottom line: if you cant come to an agreement and you feel strongly enough about going to school you will need to do whatever it takes to hire an attorney so you can seek a court order directing that the child attend school. I wish you the vest of luck with your case.

Charles Watts agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.