Joliet, IL asked in Divorce for South Carolina

Q: How can I assure my ex pays me the $15,000 he promised to pay after sale of house?

The divorce decree states my ex must pay me $15,000 from sale of property. However, it does not specify when he has to pay this money following the sale of the house. The property just sold and I'm being asked to sign away ownership. How do I assure he pays?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dan Deeds Kienker
Dan Deeds Kienker
  • Columbia, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: To provide a thorough answer I would have to review the Divorce Decree and Court Order approving the Agreement between you and your ex-Husband. Most Agreements as part of the dissolution of a marriage will specify exact date(s) when some event must occur. For example, in a case involving minor children with child support to be paid, the agreement will state "the non-custodial parent will pay the custodial parent $_____________ in monthly child support not later then the first day of each month." If that doesn't happen, the custodial parent will find it far easier to prove that to a family court judge in a hearing for contempt of a court order. In this case, your agreement should have stated a " upon sale of the house and not later than or by___________day of ___________month, 2020, husband will pay wife $15,000.00. You need to consult your attorney or an attorney of your choosing in this matter. Please do not construe this answer as my representation of your case, but only as a general answer to this type of question. Again, consult an attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.