Pittsburgh, PA asked in Elder Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My grandma was diagnosed with dementia can she sign her house and property over to mr so that state doesn't take it.

I was told if she was put in a home that the state would take the property and whatever is in her bank account. It is in her will that the house and the property goes to me and my brother l, but if her Dr. Says she needs to be put in a home, I was told the state will take the property. So I wanted to know if she transferred the property into my name now if even possible to keep it from goes to the state.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Rafferty
John Rafferty
  • West Chester, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If she was diagnosed with dementia, then although she will logistically be able to sign title over, the conveyance will be subject to reversal, on the theory that she lacked cognitive capacity at the time of the conveyance, to convey title. For that reason, it's important you look at any relevant POAs or trusts with an attorney, who could offer you advice about the best manner to convey the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.