Portland, OR asked in Social Security and Family Law for Oregon

Q: Is it legal for my father’s wife to withhold my social security card?

I moved out of my fathers house to my mom’s when I was 15 and they now have split custody. I haven’t seen him in almost 3 years though because he and his wife are abusive. I am now 17 and I’m looking into getting a job, but I can’t do that without my social security card, and the office can’t issue me a new one right now due to covid. I had a family member contact my father about the card, but his wife is intentionally withholding it from me and claiming it’s hers because she payed for it. Is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore

A: Your current legal guardian is the only person who has the right to hold a minor's Social Security card. Anyone else can get in trouble with the federal government for trying to hold on to it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.