Dallas, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Arkansas

Q: My father wants to deed me a house he bought before his new marriage title co says new wife has to sign off she won’t

Does a prenup help with that if she won’t sign? We are in Arkansas

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: If the property is titled in your Father's name, he can convey to you by Deed. The marital status may or may not cloud your title, but he can still execute and deliver a Deed. Get a competent attorney to search the title and draft an enforceable Deed. What you may be worried about is financing, which is not a legal problem but requires a different lender.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.