Rochester, NY asked in Contracts for New York

Q: Contractor breached contract, causing damages instead of doing the agreed-upon work. How can I get my house repaired?

Contractor took my money, blocked me in my house so that I could not see that they were ripping apart the WRONG part of my house. I escaped, told them to STOP ripping apart the WRONG part of my house, but they refused. They not only refused to to the work as described in the contract, they caused extensive damage while doing the Unauthorized work, with NO Permit to do so. I told them to NOT RETURN the next day, that I FORBID them to touch the back of my house until the issues with the front were resolved. They returned the next day ANYWAY, and ripped apart the back of my house, causing even more damages. They Still REFUSE to do the work as outlined in the contract, and now they want me to PAY THEM MORE to repair the damages that THEY CAUSED BY DOING WHAT I HAD FORBIDDEN THEM TO DO. I refused to pay them to repair damages that they caused, but now NO ONE ELSE will repair the damages, either. How can I get my house repaired?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You cannot force these guys to do the work. You have to get the work done by someone else, and then sue the first guys for the damages as calculated by the next person. The issue is collecting a judgment. If the first company was a scam and the people are not real contractors, you might have trouble collecting.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.