Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Puerto Rico

Q: I recently moved to Puerto Rico from Florida and my employer offered for me to work remotely as 1099 employee

Since I would be 1099 how do I set up an LLC and who or what agency do I use? I know in Florida you can do it online. I’m assuming I would also be able to write off things such as internet, cell phone and any office supplies as part of the LLC

1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. You mention that you recently moved to Puerto Rico. One of the requirements for incorporating is the need for a Resident Agent of the corporation and an Incorporator, thus it must be a legal resident of Puerto Rico. (Living in Puerto Rico for more than 6 months)

You can file corporations on línea at

Before doing so, you should contact an Accountant to verify the type of corporation that best suits your and your client's needs. An Attorney can also assist in this matter and dovall filings, corporate organization, anual corporate reuniones and corporate books. You should also understand the implications of a 1099 relationship. ( You will need to verify what exactly is the job description that you would have in Puerto Rico local tax liability and take into consideración all of the above before actually filing an incorporation.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.