Seattle, WA asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Idaho

Q: Me and my wife are going thru a divorce we used or to co own car. She is taking my name off it. I paid for most of it.

Qe have a daughter of 2 years old o rely on the vehicle for transport if she takes it i would be out of work.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: She needs it because she has primary custody of the child, right? You "need" it because you have mostly made the payments on it, right? You don't also happen to own a pickup that YOU drive, do you? I'm sorry, this sounds S E L F I S H to me and a divorce judge will PROBABLY see it the same way. Here's the way I (and most my lawyer friends) do divorce settlements: we make 2 columns, "Dad's and Mom's. For everything that goes in mom's column, we'll include a value. Same for dad's column. We TRY to roughly even out the columns so that each party gets a "fair" distribution of personal property. However, if you have a 2 year old, then you're probably in your 20's and my BEST advice to you would be "DON'T SWEAT THE LITTLE THINGS!" As long as you're a decent father, be happy to receive your beautiful 2 yr. old daughter, every other week, alternate holidays, 4-6 weeks in the summer etc. and DON'T BE A DOUCHE, report your income accurately and PAY YOUR CHILD SUPPORT! Your life will be immensely improved in just one year than it is right now!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.