Mobile, AL asked in Divorce for Alabama

Q: 1. Do I qualify for legal aid? 2. Can I go ahead a secure a lawyer now, if I qualify, or not. 3. What are my options?

Married 24 years ago; have been informed he has obtained divorce papers from atty. Jay Casey; he wanted me to fill them out. I informed him I would not be filling out anything and to have his attorney forward any papers to my attorney; but, I don't have an attorney. He works full time; I work part-time. He worked overtime and drew that money ($700) out to pay for his attorney, my money is need to help pay bills so I don't have extra money to pay lawyer, unless I draw it from our savings. Can I draw savings and not get in trouble with the judge. My regular pay is $517 bi-weekly but is less when school is out for any reason; & I don't receive an income over the summer; my benefits are through him. We have two daughters; one is 21 and in college; the other is 19 and will start college in the spring of 2021 due to the Corona virus. We have a house that we are still paying for that he wants to sell. He said he's not paying me anything and that I can get a full-time job.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You can go to legal aid to try and obtain a lawyer but it’s mostly for persons who have been abused that qualify. You need to get to an attorney immediately. Some will take payments or draw the money out of savings. But get to an attorney as quickly as possible! Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.