Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: I need an attorney for court next month bc my sister is trying to adopt my daughter

I let my daughter stay with my sister a few years back bc my life was a chaotic mess . Dhs was involved w my other kid & my sister told me that the worker said I wasn’t allowed to see her. Then she went and got guardianship. I never received any notice of court bc she sent it to an address she knew I was no longer at. I have been working with Dhs to correct my issues and figured my daughter was fine and once everything was corrected she would return home. She blocked me on social media and changed her number and has refused to allow me or her dad any contact. Then she filed for adoption without consent bc we haven’t seen or talked to her. The judge told me to contact attorneys and return to court with a list so he could appoint one to me bc I’m unable to pay. Is there any attorney willing to to work my case ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: There are specific notices that have to be given and if they sent it to your last known address then they most likely have met that obstacle (they are not responsible for keeping track of every place a person lives but the last known address, because in some cases, those people are bouncing around - I am not saying that is your situation, just an example) Likewise, there are also some specific hurdles when applying for adoption without consent. However, if those are proven the judge would most likely allow this to proceed. This is a fact-finding exercise that cannot be answered in this forum, because the variables are vast. These issues generally are a very time consuming endeavor. Also, what county is the case in, because that may narrow or expand your list of attorneys that you can get.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.