Las Vegas, NV asked in Divorce for New Jersey

Q: My boyfriend who lives in Howell Township needs help with his alimony problem so he can leave and retire

he has been paying for 10 years he cannot even afford an lawyer because 67% of his income goes to his ex he wants to retire and move to Nevada where he will not have to work how do we get rid of the alimony payment she is a nurse and has income there is no more child support order is there a way to stop them or not?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide you with an answer as I do not have enough information. Whether or not your boyfriend can retire is dependent upon the terms of his Matrimonial Settlement Agreement and how long he is required to pay alimony and under what circumstances alimony can be terminated. I would strongly suggest having your boyfriend schedule a consult with an attorney to review his Agreement with him to, at the very least, offer some guidance on what his next steps should be. Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.