Columbus, OH asked in Adoption for Kentucky

Q: My wife & I are helping a friend raise her 8 mo old baby. Trying to figure out if we can get rights w/o mom losing them

Best friend with some background issues now has an 8mo baby. My wife and I are helping raise the baby. The mother and baby now live with us. We want to see if we can get some sort of rights but without the mother losing hers. Babies father is not in the picture. Wanting rights to be able to provide better insurance, get doctor care, or in case of emergencies

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You can if the mother agrees. File a custody action and you can be joint custodian.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.