Knoxville, TN asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Tennessee

Q: Son & Gf has lived with me for 3yrs baby was born 19mths ago mother is with her 10hrs wk and wants to take her away

And live an hour away I can’t get the mother to get up with the baby and feed her unless it’s 20 mins before she goes to work at 1 in the afternoon Father is on disability .grandbaby is with me 90% of the time what can I or my son do they were never married . Baby response to me as her mother .

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You and your son may want to consider consulting with an attorney. The default rule in TN is that a child born out of wedlock belongs to the Mother until the Father or other relative petitions the Court for Paternity/custody. TN courts have a fifteen factor best interest of the child analysis that they use in determining child custody. From the facts as you describe, you have been the primary caregiver. Those facts should be helpful for you. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.