Huntington Beach, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: Can a landlord in Oregon sell a property that has a valid lease when only 4/12 months of the 12 months have elapsed?

Can they force us out because of the sale?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: These are two totally separate issues. Yes, a landlord an sell the rental dwelling at any time but the buyer takes it with the tenants already there. The main difference is just who the tenant pays the rent to. Forcing you out because of the sale is potentially different. IF the buyer intends to occupy the rental dwelling as their primary residence, then a landlord can give a 90 day no cause termination of tenancy notice (along with any relocation assistance payments required) if they jump through the right hoops. BUT such actions are banned during the Covid pandemic and will continue to be until at least January 1, 2021. IF they want you out, and you are willing to go, they may be willing to pay you to move. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.