Asked in Traffic Tickets for North Carolina

Q: I have court tomorrow for going 51 in a 35. I’m scared they’re going to take my license and I failed to hire a lawyer.

Life happens and I got too caught up in my work (Army). I’m 21 years old and a male. I have the money to pay for the ticket but I would like to reduce the amount my insurance goes up.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: 16 over the limit is technically a misdemeanor criminal al traffic citation but as far as those go - it is relatively speaking a minor ticket. Unless you wanna do a driving school at additional time and expense, your best bet is to just go request a continuance and then go hire a traffic attorney. An attorney can likely have this reduced to something that won't affect your license or insurance and you likely won't have to go to court (again) or driving school. If the address on your license is correct, you should have already gotten a crap ton of letters from traffic attorneys. You do not need F. Lee Bailey for a traffic ticket so pick the cheapest one and roll with that. No matter what other attorney's may say, there are times when spending more on an attorney is a good idea and will likely result in a better service but a traffic ticket usually ain't one of those times. For a 16 over speeding ticket, spending more is basically just spending more - so shop around. Best of luck. Oh, and stop speeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.