Manhattan, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: Questions regarding ticket-(speed in zone, failed to use designated lane)


I travelled to Newyork for vacation and got two tickets Avoca Town(speed in zone,failed to use designated lane). I was overtaking a car using the right lane(2 lane freeway) and so the speed was also a little above the limit . It's interrelated but I got two tickets. Kindly help me with the below:

1) I have a California license which is in process for renewal and address change. Will the tickets impact the renewal process? I have not mailed the court yet.

2) The officer put my old address on the tickets. My temporary license has a new address. Now I don't want the court to respond to my old address. Will emailing or calling the court to update the new address help?

3) I was speeding at 85 in a 65 mph zone. How do I reduce the points? Can I take a defensive driving course? Or is it something the court will decide?

4) Since its an out of state ticket how will it impact my insurance and other things in California.

Thank you

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: First, 20 miles over the speed limit is more than "a little" above the limit. You list Manhatten as the place, but I do not believe there is any 65 mph zone in Manh. The place you got the ticket is important because NY handles tickets differently in different counties and towns. In some areas the state handles traffic tickets and negotiation is extremely limited. In some areas the county or town (or village) handles the ticket and they are open to negotiation. If you hire an attorney he/she will file a Notice of Appearance and all notices will go to the attorney. You can notify the court that you have a change of address as well. As for how it will affect your California license and insurance, it may. Points from NY are often carried over to other states. I do not know the rules in California on that. Your insurance might go up depending on the points you get. You should hire an attorney to handle this.

Toshinori Isoai agrees with this answer

Eli Moore
Eli Moore
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: In answer to your questions:

1. The New York tickets should not impact your California license renewal at this time.

2. You should mail the ticket back to the court pleading not guilty. Put down your current address in the plea box (Section B). That is the address the court will use to notify you of a conference date.

3. This is a 4 point violation. You definitely will be able to reduce the points at a plea conference. You might even be able to reduce to a non-moving, no point violation. You can take a defensive driving course which will immediately reduce your point total by up to 4 points.

4. The New York ticket might be reported to California depending upon your past record and what you end up pleading to. If you get a reduction to a non-moving, no point violation there will be no impact upon your driving record or insurance rates

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.