Randolph, NJ asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for New Jersey

Q: Can I get arrested if my parent forces me to take and buy drugs?

So basically my mom made me buy/take street xanax. So she gave me money for me to buy the xanax and she told me what to ask for and when and how much. When i did find someone who had it and i told my mom about that and showed her what the person was saying. “i” (my mother) said yeah i’ll buy how much. So the person told me and so i exchanged the stuff and she used to make me take a small amount and her take the rest. She told me where to hide it, incase the cops start suspecting stuff. She used to take her old xanax before she said “oh i threw them down the toilet” which I am just saying i did not believe her.

She takes 2 high doses of antidepressants and the street Xanax

she did say to me “give me my xanax” i didn’t but she just kept saying verbal abusive stuff to make me give it to her. when she doesnt take all that with her drinks (10-15 drinks per night) she gets very very verbally abusive.

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes you can get arrested as you are committing a crime and so is your mother. The same as if your mother asked you to shoot a gun at a person, just because someone told you to do it, does that mean that you have to listen or that you have immunity from prosecution. By the way it is a crime for your mother to ask you to do what she is doing and if you went to the police she can be arrested for endangering the welfare of a minor, assuming you are a minor.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.