Trabuco Canyon, CA asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: How do I get a public defender to sit and discuss my felony drug case now I got to make a choice to plea or trial?

My felony dangerous drug case has been going on for 1 1/2 yrs and out of five public defender's who all quit due to "conflict of interest" on their part, has not one of them even asked me about the case or wanted to discuss it so now the other day my public defender texts me telling me they got an offer instead of going to trial and I need to make a decision fast. How do I know if it's the right decision if they don't even know my side or looked at the case I have not been asked not one question this whole time . This is my life we are talking about and alot of time behind bars for my first offense

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jack Litwak
Jack Litwak
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You need to contact your attorney in writing, via email, and ask to sit down to discuss everything. Before the meeting you should request copies of your discovery (police reports, and any evidence the state intends to use to support their case at trial). The attorney should then walk you through what your constitutional rights are, the trial strengths and weaknesses, and potential constitutional violations that should be litigated, and your sentencing exposure (the amount of time you would be looking at in prison if you lost at trial). Then you can compare those things to the outcome listed in the plea agreement. You can also request a settlement conference with the court to review these things with your lawyer present.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.