Trussville, AL asked in Criminal Law and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: I am 19 years old, my stepfather molested me when I was 14 years old, my mother was pregnant with my 6 year old sister,

I am 19 years old, my stepfather molested me when I was 14 years old,my mother was pregnant with my 6 year old sister,we moved away from him,my mother suffered violence, also him in jail 1 month for domestic violence, I never reported him to the police because,I am very afraid of it. my little sister, my mother and I lived happy,but my mother suffered a serious accident lwhere she was incapacitated and him claimed custody of my sister with cheating and lies and with the full support of the GAL the judge give the Primary custody to him, my sister has imitated sexual acts about 6 times 2 weeks ago and she says that her father does that with his girlfriend, my sister and he sleep in the same room of a 2-bedroom apartment,in the other room sleeps his cousin and that cousin was in jail for drug trafficking in the past, my question is ... I want to make a police report about what Him try to do to myself,can I? we are really concerned for my sister's safety

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Travis T Juneau
Travis T Juneau
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The brief answer is yes, you can file a police report against him and the crime should be investigated. Alabama has no statute of limitations on sex offenses involving a child under 16, which means that your case could still be prosecuted. See Ala. Code Section 15-3-5. The more quickly you report the molestation and the more specific facts surrounding the molestation you can provide investigators the better chance you have to have the case prosecuted. But, once you make your report it is up to the law enforcement officers to investigate and the District Attorney to pursue charges if they see fit.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.